Thursday, March 24, 2011

Siri's Room

Siri's room is finally done!  Good thing since we leave in seven days and we need to focus on something else besides her room.  But it was so much fun!  My Mom and sister came over for a painting day and we painted the walls a pale gray, which was a much needed change from the flesh-tone color it was previously.


The crib was our only big expense.  I am not sure what I was thinking when I got rid of my crib and kept the toddler bed.  Not a smart move on my part.  But that meant I could get a white one, which went well with her room.  We found the letters on sale at Hobby Lobby.  I just love that store.


Then we accessorized with donated furniture.  The greatest thing about old furniture is that you can paint it to give it new life (and in my case it was free, thanks Mom and Ang!). 

 This old dresser came out of Mom's storage room.  I wish I took a before picture.  David did the hard part and sanded and painted all of the furniture white.    Then, I painted the drawer fronts in colors that matched the bedding.  Next, we added mismatched knobs.  Mom found the flower stickers at the dollar store.  They are meant for the wall, but they worked well to give a little color to the plain drawers.  The mirrors we bought years ago and just never found the perfect place for.  With a little paint, they matched her room perfect.


I love the framed print on the wall.  A friend of mine, Jessica, made up prints for her nursery and had a few extra.  She also made Korean alphabet posters.  She sells them for $13 in her Etsy store, Simple Culture. 


The smaller dresser was a little red dresser my sister gave me years ago.  We used it in the boys' room, but when we moved them to the same room, they had too much furniture.  So, we thought it would go perfect in Siri's room, with a little paint of course.

I also did a tree mural on the wall.  It was inspired by a tree I saw on rate my space.  Two of the limbs have shelves, so you can add little knick-knacks.  Honestly, the tree almost ruined me for painting.  I never imagined how hard it would be to paint a straight line on a wall with orange peel.  Finally, I gave in and decided, “It’s a tree!  It's alright if it's a little (okay, a lot) wavy.”

We intentionally left the wall above this dresser blank.  We hope to frame a cool picture of Siri's foster home or something else from Thailand.


The boys gladly went through their books to pick some out for Siri's bookshelf.  And I know it doesn't match, but I had to get my Curious George carving on the wall.  When we were living in Honduras we lived near an artist named, Miguel Angel, and he carved the plaque for us.  But since the boys' rooms have been sports since day one, I never got a chance to put it anywhere. 



Once I hung the picture, Jack went and got his Curious George Jack-In-The-Box.  It is so cute to see the boys pull stuff out of their rooms to put in hers.  They sure are ready for their little sister!

 

8 comments:

  1. I love it, Danyel! Now, would you mind traveling to West Virginia in about a year (I'm optimistic!) and painting a mural on our Baby Sister's wall?!? ;-) I love to decorate and pick out paint colors and fabric, but when it comes down to the crafty parts, I'm WAY better off paying someone else to do it! I'm just so excited for you guys to get there, I can't hardly wait to see pics from your trip and hear all about it! How old is your youngest little boy? We're thinking (hoping) that Jax will be about 4 1/2 when "Baby Sister" comes home, so I'm very curious to see how another sibling of that age adjusts. Well, I'll be praying for you over the next couple weeks, can't wait for you to kiss that sweet face! (she looks ornery, you may have a hand full on your hands!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks amazing!! Great job!!! Can't wait to see pictures of her in her room!! Love the letters!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks amazing! You all did a great job and a wonderful time of bonding with your family!

    If you need anything just ask...

    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danyel! Its so incredibly beautiful. I am so impressed with all you hard work.. the tree, painted furniture. And I love the Curious George. Its a very restful and welcoming space. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, everything is SO CUTE! I love the letters over the crib, and how you have little birds sitting on them, and the mural turned out great! A very inviting room for Siri to play and rest.
    I have to note, too, that we bought the same crib for Lydia :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so adorable. Great job! Have a wonderful trip. I can't wait to read all about it!

    (One tiny thing - flip your poster the other way - it's upside down. ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all sooo much for your kind words about the room. And thanks for letting me know the poster was upside down **blush**. David even asked when he put it in the frame, and again when he hung it, is this the right way. I said "Yep". Looks like my “Thai phonics for kids” book isn't cutting the mustard. Poor Siri, she's in trouble.

    Jenn - Our oldest is four and our youngest is three. They are 11 months apart. The kids have taken it really well. Dale, the oldest, took it a little hard at first. He would cry that he missed her and he didn't understand why we couldn't just go get her. He even drew us a map so we could find her. He just didn't understand the process. But now they are just excited. I agree, I think we may have our hands full!

    ReplyDelete