Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My First Blog Post

This blog was created to follow the journey of our adoption process.

I'll try to sum up the last few years in a nutshell.  David and I have always felt a calling to adopt. We especially felt called to adopt a special needs child. After much prayer and some wonderful support of another friend going through the adoption process, we applied to Holt in September of 2009.

Initially we set out to apply to the Nepal program. Back in 2004 David and I were planning on travelling to Nepal with the Peace Corps. Unfortunately, the American Center was bombed on September 11th, which caused the Peace Corps to pull out of Nepal. (We were then placed in Honduras and left in January of 2005.) Anyhow, this experience left a place for Nepal in our hearts, however, once again, we were not destined to actually travel to Nepal. Due to unforeseen circumstances, the Holt agency closed the Nepal program in 2010.

So, in March of 2010 we officially switched to the Thailand program. This meant redoing our home study and dossier, which took two additional months.  By May we had everything done on our part, and in September we received a referral of a beautiful little girl, Sirithorn. We decided to keep her given name but shorten it to Siri. We are scheduled to travel to Thailand in April of this year.

Here is the first photo we saw of Siri. It is amazing how much love you can feel for a child after seeing only one photograph!



5 comments:

  1. Siri is just beautiful! We too started the adoption process in Thailand last year for a SN little girl. We hope to get our referral soon!

    Blessings,
    Stephanie
    www.lacockfam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie - nice to meet you. Hope you get a match soon! Would you like me to add your blog to my adoption blogroll?

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI!!
    I am so excited to come across your blog.(I can't remember how I got here! Haha!)
    We looked into the Holt Thailand adoption program... but they're not taking any new applications... which breaks my heart. (We traveled there and Myanmar a few years ago and fell in LOVE!!)
    BUT, after much prayer, God is leading us to China. We are ABOUT to apply for their "Child of Promise" program (special needs). I'm so excited I can barely sit still!!
    I just saw your most recent post... with your NEW BABY GIRL!! She's so beautiful and sweet!
    I'm inspired by your blog and am thinking of starting one of our own. I'll let you know! (o:
    THANKS for sharing your experience with us. I look forward to reading through your archives hear about the whole process.
    BLESSINGS!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Danyel!
    Melissa again. I just love your blog and you've inspired me to start my own blog to chronicle our adventures in adopting from China. Maybe you'd like to check it out:
    www.nihaobabyshmoopie.blogspot.com

    Have a great day and enjoy your beautiful little girl!! xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Melissa. Thanks for sharing your blog! I love it. I have been meaning to write you, Holt recently reopened the Thai program. But it sounds as though God may be taking you down a different path. I am so excited for your family and the wonderful journey you have ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete