Thursday, May 26, 2011

Volunteering in Joplin

Today two friends (thanks Amy and Piper) and I went to Joplin to volunteer.  We were planning on volunteering in the missing person call center, but when that area was full we ended up out in the neighborhood helping with debris removal.  And I am so glad we did.  I know we have all seen pictures on the news of the devastation, but to see it in person is surreal. 

Here are some pictures from the neighborhood we worked in:





We were not even working in the most heavily damaged area because they are still conducting search and rescue in those areas. So we spent the day with about 20 strangers clearing out the backyard of two homes. We made a lot of progress, but there was still a lot to be done. A lot. It was a bit frustrating that so many of us worked so hard and barely made a dent in the work that needs to be done.

But I have to share, what touched me the most were the volunteers themselves. One traveled from Texas, another from Pennsylvania. We also had folks that had driven in from Oklahoma and Arkansas. They had seen the devastation on the news and wanted to come help. I can't say that if I saw that a tornado had hit Pennsylvania, I would feel compelled to drive there and help out.  I can tell you that I will now. 

There were so many wonderful random acts of kindness today.  A great couple came by and brought sandwiches and water for all.  Another group came by an hour later with cookies and chips.  A truck was driving around offering work gloves to those that didn't have any.

When catastrophes such as these happen, it's easy to search the depths of your spirituality to find a reason as to why this was allowed to occur.  In the past, I've spent so much time trying to figure out God's rationale, and fully knowing that I could never come to know His reasoning, that I lose sight of what's right in front of me.  In this case, I still don't know the "why", but what I do know is that God was felt all over that place today.  I truly feel that God is love.  And despite what might look like a wasteland in pictures, God's presence is unmistakable.


Want to volunteer?  It's easy.  Show up at Missouri Southern State University. There you will fill out a volunteer form and they will give you a wrist band to show you can be in the area.  You will take a bus to the volunteer site, then go with a group leader to a damaged area to work.  The biggest needs today were people that could run chainsaws.  There are a lot of trees that need to be cut down.  Hats off to AmeriCorps for organizing the cleanup volunteer effort.

Danyel Andeson

No comments:

Post a Comment