Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A Day at the Dusit Zoo in Bangkok

Hey Boys!  It's Daddy here. 

Today we had the day off from any appointments or meetings and decided to spend the day at the zoo.  Mommy and I were just talking about how sissy doesn't like hanging around the hotel room, as it probably reminds her of that horrible day when she was taken away from her foster momma.  So the more time that we spend out and about, distracting her from thinking about her former home and having fun, the better.



The zoo was fun.  We feed some goats a bottle of milk, sissy pet a baby cheetah (great parenting move on our part), and we got to see a sea lion show. 

As I've said several times before, sissy is taking her time getting used to me.  While it kills me not to be able to love on her, I just keep reminding myself about all she's had to go through in her short, little life, and that this process is not about fulfilling my needs.  It's about tending to her needs and satisfying those by any means necessary, even if it means that I can't have those precious father-daughter moments right now that I've envisioned.  I'm still forming a relationship with her.  I'm just starting from a different point than Danyel is right now.


Today at the zoo, Danyel was holding her hand as we walked by the guinea pig exhibit.  Siri was distracted so I took the opportunity to get Danyel to switch hands and let me hold her hand without her knowing.  It worked for about 1 minute, until she happened to glance up and see that it wasn't momma holding her hand anymore.  Still, I hold on to moments like those and others that show me that progress is being made, slow albeit. 

She loves to feed me when we are having a meal or snacking.  She great at sharing and seems to get enjoyment out of watching me eat from her hand and seeing me get excited.  She also loves to splash and play with me in the pool.  Even though momma still has to hold her to do so, she likes to take little cups and pour water on my head.  She makes the funniest face when you offer her something she doesn't want.



While my goal of having her be calm with me holding her by the time we get back on the plane is growing dimmer by the day, progress is still being made, and everyday I see her smile a little bit more. It's signs like these that overwhelm any part of me that is saddened by her lack of affection towards me, and still make me the luckiest dad in the world.

We love you and miss you so much.  It was so good to talk to you today.  Hope you have a great day at school and we can't wait to see those school pictures!

Love, Mommy and Daddy

1 comment:

  1. Those pictures are darling!!! Looks like you guys are having fun!

    ReplyDelete