Monday, March 28, 2011

Day at the Zoo



Today our friend Shanna and her Dad took us on a behind the scenes tour of the Dickerson Park Zoo.  The pictures say it all, but the kids had a blast.  We started by visiting the tortoises.  The boys even got to take a ride.  Dale was a little leery, but Jack loved them.



After the tortoises, we visited the lemurs.  They were so friendly.  One gave me some little licks and I said “Looks boys, he is giving me kisses”.  Next thing I know Jack gives the Lemur a kiss and says “I love you”.  Then he says “Mommy, he gave me a kiss too!”



The next stop was the reptile house.  We got to see all of the snakes up close.  Well, most of us.  David and Jack stayed at the back of the group.  Jack was not a huge fan, which he gets from Daddy, so David was happy to oblige.  We got to see the rattlesnakes up close and hear their rattlers.




We also got to feed the giraffes and pet a 6 week old baby camel.  He was so soft and furry and he had a white spot on his nose.  He looked more like a lama than a camel, except for the hump on his back.



The grand finale was Harry the Hippo.  The kids got to fed him by tossing fruit into his large, open mouth.  He would wait till he had several, then he would swallow them whole all at once.  We got to scratch his nose.  He felt rubbery and cold and he had short, thick whiskers. 



Thanks Shanna for the best trip to the zoo ever!  The boys have been talking about it all night!









3 comments:

  1. Hello! My name is Kate and my husband, Stuart, and I are adopting a little girl from Thailand too. A friend of mine found your blog and said you are going to the April 5th TCAB date -- is that right? We'll be there that date too! It would be fun to connect with other American families. Let me know if you would like to catch up -- my e-mail address is robertson.k8@gmail.com. Thanks!!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a blast! Riding turtles looks so fun!! And good thing there were no cobras loose in your zoo like the one in the Bronx.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you guys had a ball. Have a safe trip over & we will see you guys on Friday!

    ReplyDelete